Welcome to The Joseph Whitaker School
Dear Parents / Carers
I am delighted to have been appointed as Headteacher of The Joseph Whitaker School and I would like to thank Rob Martlew for all his hard work in the last five years and to wish him the very best in his new position.
As many of you will be aware I have been at the school for a significant period of time. I love working at the school and I have a real desire to continue to shape its future. I have held a variety of roles, including most recently Vice Principal Curriculum and Achievement. Previously as Director of Specialism I was able to access good practice in many different schools and additionally my knowledge from working in London and Essex schools has ensured that I have a good understanding of national best practice.
Our aim is to ensure that The Joseph Whitaker School is an outstanding school that the community can be proud of. We want every pupil to achieve the highest possible academic outcomes and this is our number one priority. We know that this will only happen by providing the highest standards of teaching. We also provide a wide range of opportunities and we value students’ achievements across a variety of areas, including sport, the performing arts and in the wider community. With motivated students, supportive parents, talented staff and dedicated governors, I believe we can achieve this aim.
During the 2015-16 academic year we will:
- Further improve the quality of teaching and learning in all Faculty areas to maximise student outcomes in line with new accountability measures and national expectations
- Ensure that all students, whatever their background or ability, achieve their full potential
- Continue to develop and implement KS4 and KS5 curriculum changes
- Implement a new KS3 Assessment Policy
- Further improve the climate for learning
- Focus on the school specialisms to maintain the ethos of the school, enhance student outcomes and to develop wider skills
- Increase collaboration with other schools both locally, nationally and globally to ensure best educational practice is followed
- Attempt to improve the infra-structure of the School by seeking external funding streams and by maximising our current financial position
I look forward to meeting you during the course of the year and please do not hesitate to contact either myself or my staff if you have any questions or concerns.