What Will I Learn?
The hospitality and catering sector includes all businesses that provide food, beverages and accommodation services. This includes restaurants, hotels and pubs as well as airlines, tourist attractions, hospitals and sports venues. Hospitality and Catering is Britain’s fourth largest industry and accounts for 10% of British jobs.
As part of the course, students will learn about:
- How the Hospitality and Catering industry operates and the job and career opportunities
- Food preparation and cooking skills
- Developing problem solving, organisation, time management and communication skills.
- Nutrition and food safety
How Am I Assessed?
- Internal Controlled Assessment (worth 60%) which includes written work and a practical cooking exam where students have to plan, prepare, cook and present 2 nutritional dishes.
- On-screen written exam (worth 40%)
- Students can be awarded a grade of Level 1 Pass, Level 2 Pass, Level 2 Merit, Level 2 Distinction or Level 2 Distinction*
What Career Options Do I Have?
This course provides an introduction to a wide range of career options. Employment in hospitality and catering can range from receptionists and catering assistants to chefs, hotel and bar managers and food technologists in food manufacturing. All of these roles require further education and training either through apprenticeships or further and higher education.
Students wishing to take this course should be aware of the requirement to provide ingredients on a regular basis.